Monday, July 27, 2009

The Block Unstuck

So I've had writers block and it came unstuck in the oddest of times. At work during a dead time at the registers I pump out this little piece written on receipt paper in tiny messy hand writing.

I see you there from the corner of my eye. Nervous movement, switching from foot to foot. Face red, forehead beaded with sweat. I turn to meet your eyes. You avert them downward. The corners of my mouth turn up in a crooked smile. I take pleasure in your discomfort. I take you in, my eyes drinking you up like a refreshing glass of ice tea. I feel my smile twist into something sinister. You sense the change and your eyes dart up just long enough to see the change before falling quickly again. I smell your fear. Your body’s now covered in a light sweat, it glistens in the harsh fluorescent lights. I laugh menacingly and you breath in sharply, the breathe hissing through your teeth. You clasp and un-clasp your hands in front of you, trying to couch the rising terror. I jeer in your direction and you cease moving. Sly little mouse, sneaking peeks at your captor. I begin circling you slowly, devouring you with my eyes. Taking in every little detail, my grin widening. From my pocket I remove two small, shiny pebbles and play with them. They click against each other. Beautiful music. You flinch at the sound, squeezing your eyes closed tight, your hands in fists at your side. I smile at the small display of aggression and fear. I contemplate the small stones in my hand, but only for a moment. My decision made, I hurl one at your tender back. You yelp like a wounded dog, a red welt rising where the stone hit. Tears spill from your closed eyes. I let another one fly, hitting you in your fleshy middle. Another red welt rises, your chin begins to tremble. My empty hand flies out and slaps you hard across the face. A guttural crackle of laughter escapes me as you cry out in pain and surprise. Your eyes now wide and alert, searching frantically for where the next blow might come from. I spit at your feet my mouth twisted in disgust. “To your cage!” I order. You promptly obey, falling to your hands and knees and scampering to a tiny wire cage, where you curl into a shaking ball of human flesh. My need is satisfied for now.

No comments: